Historic Connor Hall Renovation and Addition
LocationSanta Fe, NM
OwnerNew Mexico School for the Deaf
BRYCON recently completed a renovation and major addition to a historic, 1928-era former boys dormitory at the New Mexico School for the Deaf. The historic building had stood vacant for several years. Studio Southwest Architects designed a fix that would allow the school to keep the historic facade, while creating a new three-story building that would better serve the needs of the students. The addition adds 29,000 sq. ft., and provides new computer classrooms, an art studio and wood, welding and paint shop. The addition is designed to meet LEED Silver Certification. The addition also has an elevator that brings the new building into ADA compliance and adds a magnificent two-story atrium that allows students to communicate and congregate. Dr. Ronald Stern, the school's headmaster, praised BRYCON for getting the building completed in time for the 2010 fall semester. Connor Hall had been the oldest building on the 125-year-old campus. It is the first building to be renovated in an eight-year master plan for the campus. The project won an Honorable Mention from Southwest Contractor magazine in the "Best of 2010" awards.